Moses Washington Treadaway and Mary

Share it Please
Moses Washington Treadaway was the son of Daniel Treadaway and Elizabeth Stegall.  He was born in 1812 in Jacks Branch of Anson County North Carolina.  He passed away in 1890 in Swain County North Carolina.

Mary… I don't know which Mary is actually my great great great grandmother.  It's either Mary Ragsdale (which I don't think) or Mary "Polly" Stegall. (which I do think it is).  Mary Polly Stegall is buried at Walnut Grove Baptist Church, Moravian Falls, Wilkes County, NC.

From: http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profiles/blogs/remembrance-in-the-care-of-a-new-generation-part-2-of-2

"The first person to be buried here was Moses Treadway in 1889, and his inscription commemorates that.  Therefore, this cemetery was in existence long before the new National Park displaced the Smokemont community.  Almost 100 years separate the inception of the old cemetery and the new one up on the hill, which was founded in 1985."


***Found 1870 Census information on Moses Treadaway.  This census information is correct because Moses (the child) is listed as being 14 years old.
Series: M593  Roll: 1144  Page: 273 Previous PageNext Page
SurnameGivenNameAgeSexRaceBirthplaceStateCountyLocationYear
TREADAWAYMOSES56MWNCNCJACKSONQUALLA TWP1870

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jinny La Bar I am the person who wrote most of the narrative above taken from the Treadaway Gen website maintained by Randy Treadaway.
    Moses Treadaway(Treadway on grave marker in Tow String Cemetery) is my gr gr gr grandfather. There seems to be a LOT of mis-information about his wives/partners floating around online, as well as which children he fathered by which women. Let me try to straighten this out for us all to the best of my knowledge.
    Wife/Partner No. 1 was Mary Ragsdale, whom Moses married on Jan. 1 , 1829. Please read my Roots Web article about all this entitled 'The Treadaways of Fayette County' that I wrote about 15 years ago. Maybe it will enlighten us. It took me a long time to straighten out the wives and the kids, but I think I have it all sorted out now. Mary Ragsdale and Moses Treadaway produced the following offspring: Francis Marion(my gr gr grandpa), Henry G, Steven, Eli Ansco, and Evalina.
    Wife/Partner No. 2 was Mary (Polly) Stegall. Polly was born in 1820 in Anson Co., NC, the daughter of John and Thesa Stegall. She and Moses produced the following kids: Margaret, Minzia Ann, Nicholas, Louisa, Rectener, and Moses Jr. Now if you look at Mary Polly Stegall's list of children listed in the Find A Grave site, it shows Henry and Eli Ansco as her children, but this is incorrect as far as I know. Both those boys were Mary Ragsdale's, and Henry came to Alabama with her when she took half the family there in the 1850's. Eli Ansco decided to remain in N.C. with his stepmom rather than join his mom and four kids who made the long trek to Alabama. Again, please read my Roots Web article and try to make sense of the turmoil with this family in the 1850's.
    Now, I may have some of this wrong! Oh, Your records above also show Evalina as belonging to Mary Stegall too, but she was one of the four kids who came to Alabama with Mary Ragsdale. She was married in 1867 to Andrew Baker at her brother F.M.'s house. They had a son in 1869 named after his father. The were living next door to Steven in the 1870 census, then disappeared ... possibly moving to Arkansas.
    I am still trying to discover Moses' affiliation with the Cherokee Indians in Swain Co. I do not believe either Mary Ragsdale or Mary Stegall were Indian. And I have visited the grave of Mary Ragsdale in Fayette Co. Alabama....I know where both the Mary's were laid to rest! And I plan to visit all of their graves later this year...especially Moses' grave at Tow String.
    If you or anyone has more precise detail of this family I would love to hear from you. Thank you Louise Lunsford for pics of Moses' grave. I had not had that before yesterday.
    My contact info is: John Hudson 8508 137th Ave NE, Redmond WA 98052 email: johnnhudson@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete